- Adults are quite small (under 2 cm long) and wingless
- They are silvery grey in color, with 3 projections at the end of the abdomen.
- The name derives from the silvery color and undulatory movement, resembling that of a fish.
- Silverfish can damage most products containing forms of starch, such as paper, silk, starched clothing, and starch paste in wallpaper.
- They may not be easily detected as they tend to shy away from well-lit, open spaces.
- The extent of damage to property and products may be an indication of infestation levels.